I have been asked many times today about Ruth’s name and where I got it from. The story goes as follows – I have been convinced this whole pregnancy that I was having a boy up until about two or three weeks ago when I had the most vivid dream I have ever experienced. In my dream I delivered the baby, only to discover that it was a girl (which was a huge surprise). I was holding the baby and talking to it saying: “You’re a girl! What in the world am I going to call you?” at which point, to my astonishment, she responded: “Is Ruth a name?” after a moment of stunned silence I was able to reply: “Yes…” to which she said: “Then maybe you should call me that.” As the dream progressed I remember thinking about several things. I thought about what a good name Ruth was, though old fashion. (Many bible references went through my head at this point as well.) How I wasn’t sure I liked the name, but couldn’t change it after what had happened and I finally came to the conclusion that Ruth would be fine and I would simply call her Ruthie.
So, Ruth it is. What caused the dream I do not know, but I feel as though she was tired of me thinking of her as a boy and decided let me know I was wrong and name herself at the same time. I have had a list of names sitting by my bed ever since I got pregnant and that name was never on the list or even considered for the list. Most of the time I feel like I truly don’t have very much control over my life. Many times I am led to believe I do, but when all is said and done, I think a very large percentage of my life has been planed for me and I have simply been led in the right direction. I am very grateful for that, although it has taken me a long time to accept that and just go with what happens, knowing it will all work out for the best in the end. As the words of a great Doris Day song say: “Que sera, sera. Whatever will be, will be. The futures not ours to see. Que sera, sera!”
I really should be doing homework. . .
16 years ago
4 comments:
I LOVE the name Ruth. I think it is so cute! Ruth's story is one of my favorites, and I have been guided to read it several times. Dreams are such an amazing way to get personal revelation. Sounds like that is what happened. That is a gift - so pay attention to what other messages come. Is so cool to see you start to unfold your potential and understand what the Lord has in store for you. Great things no dought. (i cant spell that word) Thanks for sharing such an amazing story - what a neat family story for her! ALso AMAZING pics. She looks just like Angie. How exciting for you guys. Sounds like you are getting a very special spirit - and she is getting a very special family. Keep us updated!
Jen, Congratulations! The pictures are amazing! She will probably love growing up with an old fashioned name that is different from everyone else. That sure makes the decision easy.
Wow, it's a girl! (I was totally wrong!) She is lovely and I love how the name has come to you. Ruth is a wonderful name.
I don't know that we have control over the things in our lives, but I like your approach to it. I have to remember what will be, will be-more often for myself.
Congratulations!!
Ruth is a great name! And I love Ruthie!
Post a Comment